South African Hydrogen Association (SAHA)
The South African Hydrogen Association (SAHA) promotes
and develops South African expertise in Hydrogen and Fuel Cell
Technologies (HFCT) in South Africa (and Africa).
What is SAHA?
The South African Hydrogen Association (SAHA) promotes and develops South African expertise in Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Technologies (HFCT) in South Africa (and Africa). The Association provides an opportunity for all those in the sector to engage with one another with a view to commercially promoting the sector. Membership of the Association is open to commercial companies (including those in the HFCT, power utility, gas, water, chemical, telecom and mining sector), academic and research institutions, laboratories, development councils, government departments, consultants and investors as well as individuals with an interest in the sector.
SAHA was co-founded by Prof Dmitri Bessarabov, Gordon Freer and Prof Bruno G. Pollet, with the financial support of the Platinum Trust of South Africa, an initiative of the North West province.
What does SAHA do?
SAHA provides a forum for industry, institutions and individuals to promote their interest in commercialising hydrogen as an energy source. In doing this the association will:
- Promote South African business communities, corporations, government departments and educational institutions involved in this field.
- Work with international partners that share our goals and objectives.
- Provide a forum for industry, tertiary institutions, non-profit institutions and government departments to discuss research, findings, safety aspects and commercial opportunities in the area of hydrogen and fuel cell technologies.
- Facilitate relationships between South African and international researchers and research institutions with a view to promoting hydrogen as an energy source taking into account local and global needs.
- Engage with the South African government to create a supportive regulatory framework to develop the industry.
SAHA provides a ‘’ONE’’ voice to represent, promote and develop South African Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Technologies and related interests. The Association engages with the RSA government to create the right framework for the industry to develop. SAHA is developing and nurturing relationships with other national and international Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Associations and entities to work together towards a mutually beneficial strategy to create and develop a Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Economy worldwide.
There is a huge opportunity for South Africa (and Africa) to achieve a Hydrogen Economy if significant R&D support is provided in views to be in line with overseas investments e.g. in the EU, US, Canada, Japan, China and Korea.